The museum owns two buildings and the land on which they stand.
The museum is housed in a 15th century stone barn, the last remaining building of Taunton Priory, which was founded about the year 1120 and dissolved by Henry VIII in 1539.
The building has had a variety of uses and modifications over the centures, the most recent being as a store in a builder’s yard and before that as a farm barn. Almost derelict in the 1980s, it was classified as an ancient monument. The newly established Somerset Cricket Museum bought it in the 1980s and set about major reconstruction works to make it safe and to replace the roof. It is now Grade II* listed. Following the receipt of a major legacy in 2010 the building has been completely renovated and brought up to modern safety and efficiency standards.
Some visitors come to see the ancient building rather than the cricket memorabilia.
The museum’s other building stands behind the museum barn and is used for offices and storage. It also hosts match day book sales and a lending library of over 1000 cricket books in the Eddie Lawrence Library.